Spanish Chickpeas & Rice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 yellow onion
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
1 can chickpeas
1 can black beans
1.5 cups vegetable broth - from stock
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1. Prep: dice the onion into small pieces, drain the artichokes, and roughly chop the artichoke hearts.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F.
3. Add minced garlic to a large deep skillet along with the olive oil. Cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or just until soft and fragrant. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and some freshly cracked black pepper to the skillet. Stir and sauté the spices in the hot oil for one more minute.
4. Sauté the onion in the oil & spice mixture until it is soft and translucent (about 5 min). Add the rice and sauté for 2 minutes more.
5. Add the black beans and artichokes to the skillet along with the can of diced tomatoes (with juices), vegetable broth, and a half teaspoon of salt. Stir all the ingredients in the skillet until evenly combined.
6. Place a lid on the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high. Allow the skillet to come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Make sure it's simmering the whole time, adjusting the temperature as needed.
7. Toss the chickpeas in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Turn the heat off and let it rest for 5 minutes without removing the lid.
9. Finally, remove the lid, fluff with a fork and squeeze in some fresh lemon juice.